Staying Healthy On Holiday

Tizi's 6 recommendations!

· Lifestyle
broken image

Dear Reader,

Don't you love a holiday? Writing this article makes me realise that I need to go on holiday soon! We all enjoy a nice weekend away or even a week if our schedule allows it. But when we go on holiday, we forget we were living a healthy lifestyle and over-indulge in the cocktails, sodas, and most importantly, the meals! I am guilty of this but I have learnt a thing or two about how to keep the extra calories off. So here are Tizi's tips on staying in shape while on holiday.

1. Stay Hydrated

broken image

Trust me, you want to stay hydrated because as I say in all my articles, Water is Life. Since we tend to confuse thirst for hunger, most people will rush for the croissants and cakes at breakfast. Try to start your day with a glass of water, and go for the fruit. If you are still hungry, then you will find yourself eating one croissant as opposed to three or four. Major Key Alert.

If you are taking a flight, water helps clear your system because high altitudes make the cabin air dry and our airways are more vulnerable to viruses and bacteria. As a general rule, try to balance your beverages (coffee, tea, cocktails) with a glass of water. Your liver and skin will thank you!

2. Pack your Snacks

broken image

If you are going camping, hiking or better yet, a beach holiday (my favourite!), it doesn’t hurt to carry some healthy snacks such as nuts, granola bars, fruits and yogurt so you don’t have to worry about making unhealthy choices. Not all the hotels or lodges will give you healthy options, so its best to have some for your mini bar. Try to find out how far away the nearest supermarket is so you can stock up on healthy snacks and herbal teas for your room. I wish hotels in Kenya could stock up on healthy snacks and freshly squeezed juices; not the Del Monte or Pick & Peel stuff.

broken image

3. Overeating. Don't do it.

broken image

Just because you are on holiday, it doesn’t mean that you should get off your wellness journey and overdo the eating. Of course you enjoy your bolognaise and burgers, but do it in moderation. Your body never forgets what you put into it. I think we overeat when we see the amazing buffet options and dessert menus, but if you make sure you are well hydrated before every meal, you will find yourself eating less. Another trick is to pop gum in your mouth 15 minutes before hitting the buffet table. Chewing gum tricks your brain into thinking you're eating, so you actually eat less. Major Key Alert!

4. Portion Control

broken image

A bit of splurging is okay if you are on holiday but not for every meal. In my article called the ‘Eat Well Plate’ , it talks about the food pyramid which shows you the meals you should prioritise. It encourages you to add colourful options to your plate such as broccoli, carrots, creamed spinach, salads, brown starch, fruits and if you still have space, then desserts. If you watch your portions and prioritise the healthy stuff, you’ll automatically eat less unhealthy options. See below for a good illustration of portion control.

broken image

5. Soft Workouts

broken image

I don’t think anyone likes to workout on holiday, but a simple and soft workout doesn’t hurt. You can either go for a jog by beach as you chase the sunset, or carry a skipping rope and enjoy your jumps by the balcony overlooking a beautiful scenery. You’ll be surprised how effective skipping is for agility and cardio condition.

Holidays also create the opportunity to break routine and try something new like swimming, paddle boarding, or kayaking, and the only item you need to pack for those activities is a swimsuit!

broken image

6. Plan, and tell yourself you’ll Stay Healthy

broken image

Planning ahead to keep fit and eat well 85% of the time and give in to cravings in the remaining 15%, will make a world of difference to your body, mind, and soul. At the end of your holiday, you will be happy you made healthy choices and the feeling of guilt we all experience will not be there. Once you are back at the gym, it will feel as though you never left!

broken image

Follow these tips and you are guaranteed of glowing skin, a happy liver and a very grateful waistline! Soon I’ll introduce you to the concept of active retreats; going on wellness holidays.

Yours in Wellness,


All Posts

Almost done…

We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!

OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly