I thought I loved oats until I came across the new trend of overnight oats. By all means, keep reading because apparently they have ample health benefits and the highlight is that its a time saver. After doing some research on this new trend, here is what you need to know about this wellness sensation.
How to make overnight oats
Overnight oats are oats that have been in the fridge overnight; literally. Rather than cooking them the normal way, you can mix it with milk or yogurt and add ingredients such as cinnamon, frozen berries, coconut shredding, or vanilla extracts. Place all the ingredients in a jar or bowl, stir uniformly and put it in the fridge for 8 hours. The oats will soften up and form a texture that makes for a great breakfast meal. You can add toppings such as diced fruits, nuts, pumpkin seeds, granola, shredded coconut, or anything else you enjoy.
Benefits of overnight oats
The convenience! Sometimes you don't have time to whip up breakfast and you end up buying breakfast at a cafe. Overnight oats make your breakfast super easy and healthy when life can take a toll;
- They are delicious and healthy as instant oats, so you are not losing any nutritional value;
- According to some studies, the soluble fibers contained in oats can enhance insulin sensitivity and has protective effect against diabetes;
- They are high in carbohydrate and protein which is enough to keep you energized during the day and it improves your stamina;
- It can be served as dessert with the right toppings such as caramelized pineapples and a scoop of frozen yogurt- slurp!
- They promote healthy digestion;
- They help to maintain healthy brain cells and improve concentration;
- They contain many nutrients such as Vitamin E which keep your skin healthy and beautiful skin;
- Did you know that overnight oats can be used as a face mask? According to beauty and health experts, it has a purification effect which can help clean the face. Check out this easy three- step oeatmeal facemask by Livestrong. You are welcome!
-Here are some examples of how you can combine overnight oats for breakfast as illustrated by Quaker Oats-
Blackberry Walnut Oats topped with Yogurt & Chia seeds
Berry Overnight Oats topped with Yogurt & Chia seeds
Apple Cinnamon Crunch Overnight Oats
Blueberry & Banana Overnight Oats topped with Yogurt & 1 table spoon of Honey
Mocha Almond Overnight Oats topped with Yogurt, Chia Seeds & Raisins
Mango Overnight Oats topped with Yogurt
Pinacolada Overnight Oats (diced pineapple & coconut shreddings) topped with Yogurt & Almonds
There are so many variations when it comes to preparing overnight oats! They can also be taken as a mid-morning snack or dessert. If you take non-dairy milk, you can use vegan based options such as almond, rice, coconut, hazelnut, or soy. I hope these combinations inspire you to stay healthy because clean eating will give you a natural glow, keep you energised, productive and most importantly, happy. Catch you next time on Tizi Bar; the new nutrition based segment.
If you keep good food in your fridge, you will eat good food.
References & Photocredits
Dr. Health Benefits
Subscribe below to get more of these weekly articles directly to your email.